Archives June 2019

Friends pay tribute to ‘beautiful’ Sevanah and her mother Kelly killed in Molong accident

Friends pay tribute to ‘beautiful’ Sevanah and her mother Kelly killed in Molong accident TRAGEDY: Friends gathered at the crash site and paid tribute to the deceased mother and daughter. Photo: STEVE GOSCH
Nanjing Night Net

TRAGEDY: Friends gathered at the crash site and paid tribute to the deceased mother and daughter. Photo: STEVE GOSCH

TRAGEDY: Friends gathered at the crash site and paid tribute to the deceased mother and daughter. Photo: STEVE GOSCH

TRAGEDY: Friends gathered at the crash site and paid tribute to the deceased mother and daughter. Photo: STEVE GOSCH

TRAGEDY: Friends gathered at the crash site and paid tribute to the deceased mother and daughter. Photo: STEVE GOSCH

TRAGEDY: Friends gathered at the crash site and paid tribute to the deceased mother and daughter. Photo: STEVE GOSCH

TRAGEDY: Friends gathered at the crash site and paid tribute to the deceased mother and daughter. Photo: STEVE GOSCH

TRAGEDY: Friends gathered at the crash site and paid tribute to the deceased mother and daughter. Photo: STEVE GOSCH

TRAGEDY: Friends gathered at the crash site and paid tribute to the deceased mother and daughter. Photo: STEVE GOSCH

TRAGEDY: Friends gathered at the crash site and paid tribute to the deceased mother and daughter. Photo: STEVE GOSCH

TweetFacebookThis story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


Illawarra Vietnam veteran Neil McLean robbed on Remembrance Day

Vietnam veteran Neil McLean woke up to find his caravan and shed had been ransacked. Picture: SYLVIA LIBERItwas a day to remember, but one a Vietnam veteran from Russell Vale would rather forget.
Nanjing Night Net

When Neil McLean woke on Tuesday he noticed something out of the ordinary in the backyard.

The door to his caravan was open, despite being secured the night before – a discovery that turned feelings of reflection and celebration into those of utter disbelief.

“They’d smashed the lock on the caravan door and just absolutely ransacked the inside of it – pulled the guts right out of it, everything,” Mr McLean, 71, said.

“I went to my shed and they’d done the same.”

The caravan was parked about five metres from the back door of his house and Mr McLean said he “never heard a word” during the night.

“I couldn’t believe it … it’s very upsetting,” he said.

A “little bit of money” kept in the caravan, possibly about $100, was all that was taken physically, but the vandals successfully dented the veteran’s Remembrance Day.

Mr McLean’s day included a talk with children at a ceremony at the Aspect South Coast School in Corrimal.

“I did that speech but it was a little bit upsetting trying to get up there when the forensics were still at home going through everything,” Mr McLean said.

He joined the Army in 1961 and spent time with a battalion at Holsworthy before leaving for Vietnam in May 1965.

In Vietnam, he was a member of the pioneer platoon that worked with explosives.

After one year and six days he returned to Australia and later became an instructor at the Army Recruit Training Centre Kapooka, near Wagga, until he “got out” in 1970.


Six vehicles damaged in Point Piper crash

Six vehicles were damaged when a Mercedes-Benz crashed into two vehicles heading in the opposite direction before hitting a number of parked cars in Sydney’s eastern suburbs, police say.
Nanjing Night Net

Remarkably no one was injured in the crash just outside Cranbrook School on New South Head Road in Point Piper about 7pm on Tuesday.

Witnesses who called triple-0 said one of the vehicles had overturned.

A NSW Police spokeswoman said a grey Mercedes A45 AMG hatchback was heading towards the city on New South Head Road when it collided with a Holden Rodeo ute and an Audi heading in the opposite direction.

The Mercedes then crashed into two other vehicles before coming to rest against the gutter.

The Holden Rodeo crashed into a vehicle heading in the same direction.

The driver of the Mercedes, a 27-year-old Pyrmont man, was given a roadside breath test and the result was negative, police said.

Police seized the Mercedes for further examination and investigations into the crash are ongoing.

No charges have been laid.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


Savers stung as banks slice term deposit interest rates

Banks have made significant cuts to their short-term deposit rates. Photo: James Davies Banks have made significant cuts to their short-term deposit rates. Photo: James Davies
Nanjing Night Net

Banks have made significant cuts to their short-term deposit rates. Photo: James Davies

Banks have made significant cuts to their short-term deposit rates. Photo: James Davies

Australia’s big banks are quietly making significant cuts to the interest rates paid on term deposits, as lenders compete less keenly for household savings.

While the Reserve Bank has not moved official interest rates since August last year, new figures show interest rates across three-month, six-month and one-year term deposits have been cut in recent months.

The cuts are likely to affect pensioners and self-funded retirees in particular, as rate reductions erode the income they receive from their retirement savings.

Three-month term deposits have fallen the most, with National Australia Bank, Westpac and ANZ all cutting these rates by at least 20 basis points since June, almost equaling an “official” RBA reduction, figures from comparison website RateCity show.

All the major banks are now paying less than 3 per cent on a term deposit over the popular term of three months, the figures show.

Rates on six-month term deposits have also dropped 11 basis points since July, to an industry-wide average of 3.26 per cent. One-year term term deposit interest rates have fallen by a similar amount, to between 3.2 and 3.3 per cent for all of the major banks.

RateCity analyst Peter Arnold said the cuts raised the risk that savers’ funds would be “rolled over” into a product with a much lower rate when the deposit reached maturity.

“It’s less competitive than it was six months ago,” Mr Arnold said. “Savers need to make sure they don’t rollover into a lower rate.”

The Reserve Bank has also highlighted the trend, saying there was less competition for term deposit funds and this was helping to lower banks’ cost of funding.

In response to the lower rates, households are turning away from term deposits, which surged in popularity after the global financial crisis savaged retirement savings.

The total amount households have in term deposits has edged down in recent months, while billions have instead been put into transaction or “at call” bank accounts.

“Depositors have continued to move away from term deposits as the interest rates on these products continue to be less attractive in comparison to bonus saver accounts,” the RBA’s Statement on Monetary Policy said last week.

Despite this, interest rates on popular online saver accounts have not been immune from the trend. RateCity figures show these have also fallen in recent months to between 3.6 per cent and 3.82 per cent for the major banks.

Banks noted the lower deposit rates when unveiling their latest profit results, but argued this windfall was being passed on to borrowers in the form of lower mortgage rates, rather than benefiting the banks’ bottom lines.

The Reserve Bank estimates that average mortgage rates have fallen by about 15 basis points outside the official 25 basis point move since August last year, because banks are giving borrowers larger discounts off their advertised rates.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


The six main benefits from a free trade agreement with China

So, after 10 years of negotiations, just what does Australia stand to gain from inking a free trade agreement with its biggest trading partner? The China FTA, which Prime Minister Tony Abbott and President Xi Jinping are likely to sign early next week, will bring new opportunities in the Chinese market place, particularly for Australian farmers and professionals. The greatest benefits will take up to a decade to be phased in, however, and some of the biggest gains will be in areas you might least expect.  
Nanjing Night Net

The China FTA will struggle to live up to hyperbolic expectations. But that’s only partly because the benefits have been oversold, particularly by people close to Nationals leader Barnaby Joyce, who appear to have confused quarantine standards with trade concessions in the live cattle trade.

These are all good reasons to applaud Trade Minister Andrew Robb’s dogged pursuit of a deal with Australia’s dominant trading partner, after sealing agreements with the No.2 (Japan) and No.3 (Korea) earlier this year.

Thankfully, there are unlikely to be any of the dubious “free trade” traps that were embedded in the US FTA, such as higher prices for copyright material and pharmaceutical products, although it will pay to scrutinise any parallel changes to the controversial 457 work visa category.

The last time Australia negotiated a free trade agreement that generated this much excitement it didn’t work out so well. A decade after the Howard government touted more than $4 billion in annual benefits from the US FTA, America’s share of Australia’s exports has plummeted, by half, and the only thing that has grown by $4 billion is the bilateral trade deficit.

The sting in the tail of this agreement is unlikely to have anything to do with the fine print.

A few years from now all these gains will offset but not overcome the other economic trend coming from China: the end of a once-in-a-century resources boom.

“The short-term benefits will be quite small, certainly smaller than the loss of benefits we’ll see from declining terms of trade,” says Saul Eslake. “If it’s a good agreement, the longer term benefits will go a long way to ameliorating the decline in terms of trade.”

No matter what Mr Robb achieves in Beijing, with the price of iron ore barely more than half what it was one year ago, the net benefits of a China FTA are likely to be swamped by the consequence of plummeting prices that Chinese mills will be paying for Australian ion ore, coal and gas.

Follow us on Twitter

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


THE MORNING GRILL: Two killed in crash at Molong

9am:That’s all we’ve got time for today. Check back tomorrow for the latest inregional news.
Nanjing Night Net

In the meantime, why not take a closer look at today’s news?

DUBBO|NARROMINE|WELLINGTON|NYNGAN|LIGHTNING RIDGE|WESTERN MAGAZINE

8.50am: A coronial inquiry into the Wambelong fire near Coonabarabranthat destroyed 53 houses has heard the incident wasmarred by communication breakdowns, mistaken predictions by fire analysts, and local residents being given incorrect information.

8.40am: Want to know what’s making news in other regions? Here is a collection ofevery front page from Fairfax papers across Australia.

8.30am: Kids say the darnedest things. Check out what year 3 Gold at St John’s Catholic Primary schoolwould do if they were the mayor of Dubbo.

Year 3 Gold at St Johns Catholic Primary school

8.20am: The ICC Cricket World Cup trophy will make a trip to Dubbo as part of a regional tour before next year’s tournament in Australia and New Zealand.

The ICC Cricket World Cup trophy

The trophy will be in Dubbo on December 2.

8.10am: In a display of the impactpeople power can have, Dubbo City Council has halted construction of a roundabout in Baird Drive after a protest.

Rebecca Boehme, Annette Webber and (front) Mathilda Boehme at the roundabout that they say is poorly-designed. Photo: GREG KEEN

The roundabout is in an awkward location at theintersection of Baird Drive, Lansdowne Drive and Bellbird Way.

Because streets are offset, the introduction of aroundabout have eliminated the right turn option from Baird Drive onto Bellbird way.

Council have announced a temporary halt to construction but say there is no guarantee theright-turn manoeuvre could be reinstated.

8am: Now a quick look at the national news:

POLITICS: There are growing concerns the federal government’s free trade agreement deal with China could do more harm than good.

POLITICS: Tony Abbott and Vladimir Putin have come face to face at APEC and talked about MH17. In case you are wondering, there was no shirtfronting.

FINANCE: Bad news for savers with the major banks cutting the interest rates paid on term deposits. Pensioners and self-funded retirees are expected to be among those worst affected.

7.50am: Customers of Myer, the Commercial Hotel and other businesses in that area should be aware that Brown’s Avenue, the entrance to the Myer car park off Brisbane Street, will be closed on 14th, 17th and 28th of November between 7am and 3.30pm.

Essential Energy is upgrading the underground power supply in that area. During those times the one way road on the northern side of the Commercial Hotel (left side if looking at it from the front)will be converted to two way.

At all other times Brown’s Lane will be open.

7.45am: The HSC is over for another year and while many students are now eagerly awaiting their HSC results and ATAR scores, they are also now able to let their hair down.

Now is the time to relax for year 12 students now their HSC commitments are over. Photo: GREG KEEN

Have a look at some photos from formals forSt Johns, the Dubbo Christian College, Dubbo College Senior Campus and Macquarie Anglican Grammar School.

7:35am: In other local news:

WELLINGTON: A competitor in the Wings Over Wellington event remains in a critical condition after a hang gliding accident.

Simon Plint was flown to Liverpool hospital after the incident on Monday.

ORANA: The crowd at yesterday’s Remembrance Day ceremonies across the region paid tribute to those who sacrificed their lives for Australia in war and conflict. See coverage from Dubbo, Narromineand the story of Wellington remembering one of its own World War I heroes.

NARROMINE: The relocation of the cenotaph will begin today. Yesterday’s Remembrance Day ceremonies were significant because they were the last with the cenotaph in its current location

7.20am: There has been another terrible accident on our region’s roads with two killed in a two-car collision at Molong.

Police are investigating after a Ford Laser and a Subaru Outback collided on the Euchareena Road intersection on Shades Creek Road at approximately 5pm yesterday afternoon.

A 16-year-old learner driver was driving the Laser, with her 39-year-old mother in the passenger’s seat.

They died at the scene, while the occupants of the Subaru Outback, a woman, one-year-old and a newborn baby, were not injured.

Both vehicles have been seized for mechanical examination.

Police from Canobolas Local Area Command are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident and will prepare a report for the information of the Coroner.

Police are urging anyone with information in relation to this incident to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page: https://nsw.crimestoppers南京夜网.au/

7am: Good morning and happy hump day,

You’re here with Mark Rayner and if you have any news tips you would like to pass on, email me at [email protected]南京夜网.au.

Today’s Weather

DUBBO / NYNGAN / TRANGIE: It will be sunny today with light winds in the morning. Dubbo a top of 33, Nynganand Trangie 35.

COBAR / BOURKE: Also expected to be sunny with gusts of wind before easing off later in the day. Cobar a top of 35, Bourke a very warm 38.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.