NO HOPE: Police have given up hope of finding missing Sydney man Sevak Simonian
THE search for a Sydney man missing for almost three weeks in the Kanangra Boyd National Park has been suspended, with police giving up all hope he is still alive.
Sevak Simonian was reported missing on the night of Thursday, October 23 after last being seen when he left his Belrose home the previous Monday.
His car was found in the Kanangra Walls Road car park on Friday, October 24 but an extensive search since then has failed tofind him.
Duty officer with Chifley Local Area Command Colin Cracknell, said the search was terminated at 1pm on Monday, with all personnel withdrawn from the site.
“Unfortunately, the result is a negative one,” he said, adding police will continue ongoing enquiries to try and establish Sevak’s whereabouts.
Inspector Cracknell said a report will be prepared for the coroner.
Inspector Cracknell said the decision to end the search was not taken lightly, with police only coming to the conclusion that Sevak is dead after enormous consultation with experts from the Rescue and Bomb Disposal Unit in Sydney and a specialist survival doctor who works with both NSW Police and the Australian Defence Force.
“Based on the advice of these experts we have concluded he has no chance of survival,” he said.
Inspector Cracknell said he had been in touch with Sevak’s parents and, while they are devastated at the loss of their child, they knew at some point it was inevitable the search would wind up.
“They thanked everyone who has been involved in the search, which I believe is the biggest search ever conducted within the Chifley Local Area Command,” he said.
“Unfortunately it’s the first time we’ve never not had a result. Up until now we’ve always found the person [or their remains], so in that sense this is a bit unusual,” he said.
“But in the search we have left no stone unturned, we were even airlifting people into search zones, because they weren’t accessibleon foot.
“We’d plot a location on a map where they would search and then extracting them in the helicopter.
“We had a very dedicated team, hundreds of volunteers who gave of their time, freely carrying out the search.”
Inspector Cracknell also thanked the Bushwalkers Wilderness Rescue Squad, the VRA, SES, National Parks and Wildlife, Rapid Relief Team, NSW Ambulance and paramedics and the Westpac Rescue Helicopter for their assistance during the search.
This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.