William Kamm – Little Pebble only days from freedom

Convicted sex offender William Kamm, known as Little Pebble, is expected to be released from jail in the next few days.
Nanjing Night Net

The 64-year-old Kamm has served more than nine of his 10 years in jail.

He started the religious group known as the Order of St Charbel at Tapitallee in the 1980s.

Kamm was convicted of ordering two teenage girls to have sex with him.

Part of his release conditions prohibit him from frequenting the Shoalhaven or communicating with his victims for the next 11 months.

A report by AAP said he manipulated a sect of old-line Catholic traditionalists to hand over their wives and daughters to populate his “Royal House”.

He is believed to have fathered more than 20 children and duped dozens of females, telling them they were among the 12 queens and 72 princesses chosen to repopulate the earth after judgment day.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


Police say Sevak has no chance of survival

NO HOPE: Police have given up hope of finding missing Sydney man Sevak Simonian
南京夜网

THE search for a Sydney man missing for almost three weeks in the Kanangra Boyd National Park has been suspended, with police giving up all hope he is still alive.

Sevak Simonian was reported missing on the night of Thursday, October 23 after last being seen when he left his Belrose home the previous Monday.

His car was found in the Kanangra Walls Road car park on Friday, October 24 but an extensive search since then has failed tofind him.

Duty officer with Chifley Local Area Command Colin Cracknell, said the search was terminated at 1pm on Monday, with all personnel withdrawn from the site.

“Unfortunately, the result is a negative one,” he said, adding police will continue ongoing enquiries to try and establish Sevak’s whereabouts.

Inspector Cracknell said a report will be prepared for the coroner.

Inspector Cracknell said the decision to end the search was not taken lightly, with police only coming to the conclusion that Sevak is dead after enormous consultation with experts from the Rescue and Bomb Disposal Unit in Sydney and a specialist survival doctor who works with both NSW Police and the Australian Defence Force.

“Based on the advice of these experts we have concluded he has no chance of survival,” he said.

Inspector Cracknell said he had been in touch with Sevak’s parents and, while they are devastated at the loss of their child, they knew at some point it was inevitable the search would wind up.

“They thanked everyone who has been involved in the search, which I believe is the biggest search ever conducted within the Chifley Local Area Command,” he said.

“Unfortunately it’s the first time we’ve never not had a result. Up until now we’ve always found the person [or their remains], so in that sense this is a bit unusual,” he said.

“But in the search we have left no stone unturned, we were even airlifting people into search zones, because they weren’t accessibleon foot.

“We’d plot a location on a map where they would search and then extracting them in the helicopter.

“We had a very dedicated team, hundreds of volunteers who gave of their time, freely carrying out the search.”

Inspector Cracknell also thanked the Bushwalkers Wilderness Rescue Squad, the VRA, SES, National Parks and Wildlife, Rapid Relief Team, NSW Ambulance and paramedics and the Westpac Rescue Helicopter for their assistance during the search.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


Truck driver killed in two-vehicle Tarcutta accident

A MAN has died and another is in hospital following an accident involving two trucks on the Hume Highway near Tarcutta
南京夜网

The accident occurred shortly after 2.30am Wednesday after a truck driver came off the edge of the road just south of the Mates Gully Road intersection.

Wagga Inspector Peter McLay said thetruck hit a guard rail and continued down into a creekbed, trapping the driver who was believed to have been killed on impact.

The driver’s family are yet to be notified. He is believed to have been a Victorian.

Meanwhile, an axle disconnected from the prime mover and a second B-double travelling behind collided with it.

“The second truck has lost control and fallen onto its side, blocking both the northbound lanes,” Insp McLay said.

“He sustained non-lifethreatening injuries and was taken to Wagga hospital.”

Inspector McLay said the northbound lanes would now be closed until lunchtimeand most likely into the afternoon.

Traffic is being diverted viaTumbarumba Road.

Please note that this map is an indication only. The accident occurred at the intersection of the Hume Highway and Mates Gully Road.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


UPDATE: Police release names of Mother and daughter killed in crash at Molong

Police are investigating following the deaths of two people during a crash in the state’s Central West yesterday. Police have released the names of two people after they lost their lives following a crash in the state’s Central West yesterday.
南京夜网

About 5pm (Tuesday 11 November 2014), 16-year-old Learner Driver, Savanah Lang was driving a Ford Laser on Shades Creek Road, Molong, with her 39-year-old mother, Kelly Landers, in the passenger’s seat.

The Ford and a Subaru Outback, containing a woman, one-year-old and a newborn baby, collided at the intersection of Euchareena Road.

The two occupants of the Ford died at the scene, while the woman and children in the Subaru were not injured.

Both vehicles have been seized for mechanical examination.

Police from Canobolas Local Area Command are investigating the circumstances surrounding the incident and will prepare a report for the information of the Coroner.

Police are urging anyone with information in relation to this incident to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or use the Crime Stoppers online reporting page:https://nsw.crimestoppers南京夜网.au/Information you provide will be treated in the strictest of confidence. We remind people they should not report crime information via our Facebook and Twitter pages.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


More jobs, more on offer at re-branded Coles Eden

More jobs, more on offer at re-branded Coles Eden Thumbs up for prices down: The COLES Eden morning crew prepare to serve customers at the newly re-branded COLES Eden store on Wednesday morning.
南京夜网

COLES Eden store manager Tom Marshman watches on, as Eden Tigers Rugby League under7 representatives,can’t believe their luck at being handed scissors and given the big task of cutting the ribbon to officially open the newly re-branded store.

Staff and parents clapped as Eden Tigers Rugby League under7 team members completed their official duties after cutting the ribbon at the newly re-branded COLES Eden store on Wednesday morning.

Eden Whalers president Harry Weatherman was on hand to applaud the ribbon cutting at Wednesday morning’s offical re-branding of COLES Eden. Mr Weatherman said the COLES store sponsors the Whalers, support that is greatly appreciated by the AFL club.

COLES Eden store manager Tom Marshman watches on, as Eden Tigers Rugby League under7 representatives,can’t believe their luck at being handed scissors and given the big task of cutting the ribbon to officially open the newly re-branded store.

Eden Tigers under7 players ready to cut the ribbon on the COLES Eden rebranding on Wednesday morning are Ryan, Braiden, Joseph and Trent.

COLES Eden store manager Tom Marshman says the new iced fruit and vegetable displays at COLES Eden offer customers an exciting, expanded range of healthy, fresh fruit and veg.

TweetFacebookThis story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


Drones pose risk to fire services

Drones pose risk to fire services A water bombing helicopter drops on a fire in Maiden Gully. Picture: BRENDAN McCARTHY
南京夜网

A water bombing helicopter drops on a fire in Maiden Gully. Picture: BRENDAN McCARTHY

A water bombing helicopter drops on a fire in Maiden Gully. Picture: BRENDAN McCARTHY

A water bombing helicopter drops on a fire in Maiden Gully. Picture: BRENDAN McCARTHY

TweetFacebookTHE Country Fire Authority iscalling for greater awareness among users ofdronesin fire danger areas.

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority estimates thousands of remotely-piloted aircraft systems are flownfor personal and commercial use in Victoria.

District 2 operations officer Chris Jacobsen said drones posed a dangerous threat to helicopter operators in fire areas.

“Firebombing by nature means (the helicopters) fly at a very low altitude which is a threat in itself,” he said.

“If anything goes wrong they have much less time to correct it.If the operators of the CFA helicopters see the RPA in the area they are required to land.”

Dronescan purchased from retail and online stores.

Bendigo cameraman Julian Fisher said it was important CASA maintainedthe education and regulation of drones.

A standard base-level drone has rotating blades on fourarms and is capable of flying upwards until the battery runs out.

“Most ownersare being responsible but as the drones get cheaper and cheaper it gets more dangerous,” Mr Fisher said.

He said manyof the cheaper dronesdidnot have fail safe technology.

“Without this they can accelerate upwards as long as the battery lasts,” he said.

“When they go up above the clouds the operator can easily lose control if not experienced.”

Mr Fisher said technology topreventadrone from flying above 400 metres was available to download online.

CASA spokesperson Peter Gibson said rural use of recreational drones was under review.

He said asmall drone could bring down a helicopter if it collidedwith the tail rotor.

MrGibson said bushfire sites were never an appropriate place for a drone.

“The bushfire fighting authorities themselves will ground their aircraft if they see a drone,” he said.

Mr Gibsonsaid the grounding of a helicopterput people at risk as there was less control over afire front.

CASA can prosecute or issue a warrantif a person breaches a regulation.


Friends pay tribute to ‘beautiful’ Sevanah and her mother Kelly killed in Molong accident

Friends pay tribute to ‘beautiful’ Sevanah and her mother Kelly killed in Molong accident TRAGEDY: Friends gathered at the crash site and paid tribute to the deceased mother and daughter. Photo: STEVE GOSCH
南京夜网

TRAGEDY: Friends gathered at the crash site and paid tribute to the deceased mother and daughter. Photo: STEVE GOSCH

TRAGEDY: Friends gathered at the crash site and paid tribute to the deceased mother and daughter. Photo: STEVE GOSCH

TRAGEDY: Friends gathered at the crash site and paid tribute to the deceased mother and daughter. Photo: STEVE GOSCH

TRAGEDY: Friends gathered at the crash site and paid tribute to the deceased mother and daughter. Photo: STEVE GOSCH

TRAGEDY: Friends gathered at the crash site and paid tribute to the deceased mother and daughter. Photo: STEVE GOSCH

TRAGEDY: Friends gathered at the crash site and paid tribute to the deceased mother and daughter. Photo: STEVE GOSCH

TRAGEDY: Friends gathered at the crash site and paid tribute to the deceased mother and daughter. Photo: STEVE GOSCH

TRAGEDY: Friends gathered at the crash site and paid tribute to the deceased mother and daughter. Photo: STEVE GOSCH

TRAGEDY: Friends gathered at the crash site and paid tribute to the deceased mother and daughter. Photo: STEVE GOSCH

TweetFacebookThis story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


Illawarra Vietnam veteran Neil McLean robbed on Remembrance Day

Vietnam veteran Neil McLean woke up to find his caravan and shed had been ransacked. Picture: SYLVIA LIBERItwas a day to remember, but one a Vietnam veteran from Russell Vale would rather forget.
南京夜网

When Neil McLean woke on Tuesday he noticed something out of the ordinary in the backyard.

The door to his caravan was open, despite being secured the night before – a discovery that turned feelings of reflection and celebration into those of utter disbelief.

“They’d smashed the lock on the caravan door and just absolutely ransacked the inside of it – pulled the guts right out of it, everything,” Mr McLean, 71, said.

“I went to my shed and they’d done the same.”

The caravan was parked about five metres from the back door of his house and Mr McLean said he “never heard a word” during the night.

“I couldn’t believe it … it’s very upsetting,” he said.

A “little bit of money” kept in the caravan, possibly about $100, was all that was taken physically, but the vandals successfully dented the veteran’s Remembrance Day.

Mr McLean’s day included a talk with children at a ceremony at the Aspect South Coast School in Corrimal.

“I did that speech but it was a little bit upsetting trying to get up there when the forensics were still at home going through everything,” Mr McLean said.

He joined the Army in 1961 and spent time with a battalion at Holsworthy before leaving for Vietnam in May 1965.

In Vietnam, he was a member of the pioneer platoon that worked with explosives.

After one year and six days he returned to Australia and later became an instructor at the Army Recruit Training Centre Kapooka, near Wagga, until he “got out” in 1970.


Six vehicles damaged in Point Piper crash

Six vehicles were damaged when a Mercedes-Benz crashed into two vehicles heading in the opposite direction before hitting a number of parked cars in Sydney’s eastern suburbs, police say.
南京夜网

Remarkably no one was injured in the crash just outside Cranbrook School on New South Head Road in Point Piper about 7pm on Tuesday.

Witnesses who called triple-0 said one of the vehicles had overturned.

A NSW Police spokeswoman said a grey Mercedes A45 AMG hatchback was heading towards the city on New South Head Road when it collided with a Holden Rodeo ute and an Audi heading in the opposite direction.

The Mercedes then crashed into two other vehicles before coming to rest against the gutter.

The Holden Rodeo crashed into a vehicle heading in the same direction.

The driver of the Mercedes, a 27-year-old Pyrmont man, was given a roadside breath test and the result was negative, police said.

Police seized the Mercedes for further examination and investigations into the crash are ongoing.

No charges have been laid.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.


Savers stung as banks slice term deposit interest rates

Banks have made significant cuts to their short-term deposit rates. Photo: James Davies Banks have made significant cuts to their short-term deposit rates. Photo: James Davies
南京夜网

Banks have made significant cuts to their short-term deposit rates. Photo: James Davies

Banks have made significant cuts to their short-term deposit rates. Photo: James Davies

Australia’s big banks are quietly making significant cuts to the interest rates paid on term deposits, as lenders compete less keenly for household savings.

While the Reserve Bank has not moved official interest rates since August last year, new figures show interest rates across three-month, six-month and one-year term deposits have been cut in recent months.

The cuts are likely to affect pensioners and self-funded retirees in particular, as rate reductions erode the income they receive from their retirement savings.

Three-month term deposits have fallen the most, with National Australia Bank, Westpac and ANZ all cutting these rates by at least 20 basis points since June, almost equaling an “official” RBA reduction, figures from comparison website RateCity show.

All the major banks are now paying less than 3 per cent on a term deposit over the popular term of three months, the figures show.

Rates on six-month term deposits have also dropped 11 basis points since July, to an industry-wide average of 3.26 per cent. One-year term term deposit interest rates have fallen by a similar amount, to between 3.2 and 3.3 per cent for all of the major banks.

RateCity analyst Peter Arnold said the cuts raised the risk that savers’ funds would be “rolled over” into a product with a much lower rate when the deposit reached maturity.

“It’s less competitive than it was six months ago,” Mr Arnold said. “Savers need to make sure they don’t rollover into a lower rate.”

The Reserve Bank has also highlighted the trend, saying there was less competition for term deposit funds and this was helping to lower banks’ cost of funding.

In response to the lower rates, households are turning away from term deposits, which surged in popularity after the global financial crisis savaged retirement savings.

The total amount households have in term deposits has edged down in recent months, while billions have instead been put into transaction or “at call” bank accounts.

“Depositors have continued to move away from term deposits as the interest rates on these products continue to be less attractive in comparison to bonus saver accounts,” the RBA’s Statement on Monetary Policy said last week.

Despite this, interest rates on popular online saver accounts have not been immune from the trend. RateCity figures show these have also fallen in recent months to between 3.6 per cent and 3.82 per cent for the major banks.

Banks noted the lower deposit rates when unveiling their latest profit results, but argued this windfall was being passed on to borrowers in the form of lower mortgage rates, rather than benefiting the banks’ bottom lines.

The Reserve Bank estimates that average mortgage rates have fallen by about 15 basis points outside the official 25 basis point move since August last year, because banks are giving borrowers larger discounts off their advertised rates.

This story Administrator ready to work first appeared on Nanjing Night Net.